[PD] hid usb keyboard problem

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Dec 9 14:36:22 CET 2005

On Dec 8, 2005, at 6:00 PM, Christian Klippel wrote:

> hi tim,
>
> Am Freitag 09 Dezember 2005 00:37 schrieb Tim Blechmann:
>> hi hans, hi list ...
>>
>> i'm currently trying to get |hid| working with my usb keyboard ...
>>
>> first i have to say, that |hid| is working pretty good with the
>> internal keyboard of my laptop ...
>> but on my usb keyboard, i only receive data from the fancy multimedia
>> keys (nextsong, mute, home, mail ...), but not of the normal keys ...
>> the keyboard works fine, though (i'm currently writing with it)
>>
>> any idea, what might be the reason?
>>
>> thanks ... tim
>
> are you sure that you are talking to the keyboard, and if so, to the
> right
> endpoint of it? it may be that it is in use already, like the kernel
> or x,
> and so you access another endpoint of that keyboard, in this case the
> multimedia keys? i have already seen such combination devices....

> by default, if you have the event system enabled and allow for
> keyboards on
> that, they are grabbed by the event system (which may block the hid
> access).
> similar thing for mice: many configurations use /dev/inout/mice, which
> concentrates all connected mice into one single device.

I am pretty sure that X and the linux console open HID devices
non-exclusive, so that you can always get the data.  It works that way
on Mac OS X too.  [hid] only uses the linux input event system devices,
e.g. /dev/input/event?, other devices won't work since they use a
different data format (/dev/input/mice, /dev/input/js?, etc.).

I am working on support for grabbing devices by type, in addition to
device name, that will make things less confusing I hope.

.hc