[PD] Bug in spot_light?

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Dec 9 16:47:00 CET 2005

On Dec 9, 2005, at 9:25 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> chris clepper hat gesagt: // chris clepper wrote:
>
>> On 12/9/05, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> [0] One line: http://www.epierre.ca/work/research/documents/
>>> Representing%20Sound%20-%20Charlebois%20-%20Honours%20Thesis%20I.pdf
>>>

>> That paper is awesome.  I think about 1/3 of it is just detailing the
>> ways in which GEM sucks.

...yeh, interesting:  how did you find out about it?  Seems like it'd
be nice to have a collected list of references to pd, gem, etc...

...as far as the "ways in which GEM sucks", it really only seems to
point to two problems:

1) the immediate mode of rendering vertices will not scale well:
this of course is solved to a certain extent thru the vertex_array
branch, but that's not been incorporated into main cvs, sadly...at
minimal, we should get in the vertex_tabread/tabwrite stuff, and the
model loading into vertex arrays, since those are easy "wins" in speed

2) there is no scene graph native to gem, so you have to write it
yourself in pd (hah!  has anyone?  ;-) )  Or, you could use something
like gullibloon's osc server "gsrv" to control either their "gwiz"
app, which is openscenegraph based, or fluxus, which has it's own
scene graph; or...

>> I haven't used spot_light myself so I don't really know how it is
>> supposed to work.  I think Ben Bogart may have posted that object?
>
> The object itself is by Charlebois AFAIK. Ben then posted it here May
> 2005, however I think IOhannes did some changes when including it into
> Gem, like changing the inlet order, and maybe thereby the cone
> direction wasn't properly updated?
>
> Anyway, it looks like a nice object, but it desperately needs a help
> file: I still haven't figured out how to use the rightmost inlet.

...I have a copy of the example & source file as it was originally
posted to the list, but I've never been able to get it work...haven't
had time to find out why, either :-(  Anyway, here's what the inlets
are suppost to be:

right inlet:  Color (ie. [1 1 1< )
middle inlet:  linear attenuation; cone cutoff angle; decay at edges
(ie. [0.1 20 0< )
left inlet:  gemstate

...kinda weird/messy to have those parameters lumped together, but
then I didn't write it ;-)

james