[Fwd: Re: [PD] What about multilingual Pd ?]

Urs Liska pd at ursliska.de
Mon Dec 12 09:40:45 CET 2005

Well,

I'd second Frank's opinion.
Of course 'Sende Message' is an 'ugly mutant', but I would even go so
far to say a 'Nachricht' is not equivalent to a 'message' in this
context (even if it's the literal translation). If I read 'Nachricht' in
such a context I would think of a comment to someone else or something
like an email.
It's the same with books on programming languages. I am always
frustrated with books that translate the technical terms (for example
'member' (of a class) to 'Mitglied') because I basically have to
re-translate it to know what it means...

I think in such a context the English words are technical terms the same
way we have Latin and Greek ones in everyday or scientific language, and
it's a different topic from the (indeed problematic) increasing mixture
of languages in everyday language.

Best
Urs

--