[PD] Fading between 4 videos - performance issues

Nuno Godinho eu at nunogodinho.com
Mon Dec 12 14:40:25 CET 2005

Hi,

I am running 4 videos and I want to fade between them. Moving a MIDI slider
(ctlin 0..127) I assign a range to each video (0..30, 30..60, 60..90,
90..127) and then fade between them.

Although the logic is working, the performance is unacceptable. The CPU is
only running at 40% but the videos look slow and the transitions aren't
smooth.

I figured this is because 4 simultaneous films is too much for GEM in my PC.
So I implemented a way to turn off each film when its transparency equals 0
since it is not showing anyway.

The problem now is that when I send "1" or "0" to gemhead to turn it on/off
I sometimes get a delay of over 1 second before that video turns on or off.

Here attached I send my patches. "vela.pd" is the main one.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Nuno