[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Mon Dec 12 16:05:50 CET 2005

Le 12 Décembre 2005 03:52, Andre Schmidt a écrit :
> if we make the gui (with the _VERY_ simple english) to multilangual,
> wouldnt we need to translate the objects too ?

No. The effort is about software localization, not translation of a
programming language.

Translating the objects would require PD to support dialects, like
AppleScript did. It would be impractical, because PD's language is
graphical and not using a natural language metaphor.

Since Apple is based in the U.S. (THE unilinguistic power), I was not
surprised when it dropped support for dialects in AppleScript, although it
was working perfectly (I used it for a while). The reason invoked was that
most developers were not using this feature, but it doesn't mean it was a
completely bad idea...

Menu items like "File", "New", "Open", and GUI objects like "messages",
"number", "symbol" and "comment" are easy to translate. Non-gui objects
must be named, and most have distinct names or are diminutives, so it would
be a bad idea to translate them. Even in English, most object names must be
decoded, like "osc~"; those names are not in English, they are in the PD
dialect.

> and i think multilangual gives more problems to ALL, than the user
> learning a little simple english...

Localization is common and considered a *good* thing.

ALL can also learn or remember a little bit of their own language to use
computers; it's part of the solution to keep and enhance our local
cultures. Since I'm French speaking, I prefer "commentaire" to "comment",
"symbole" to "symbol", "nombre" to "number", "bascule" to "toggle"...

Using "little simple english" with technology is not enough to deal with
complex concepts, and it is an insult to our cultural intelligences.
English is a rich language, but it's not mine...

> so leave the gui (and objects) in english and just make multilanguage
> help files, tutorials etc...

PD can be localized, like any other software. It's not a problem, and it's
the first step to multilingual documentation.

> but then again, as long as theres english version, i dont really care :)

PD will alway support its "lingua franca", don't worry.

> ps. my mother language is finnish, and i was unable to use a finnish
> language os...

That's sad.
I visited Finland, and most people were using their computers in Finnish.
Welcome to the 21th century.

I read the other comments about this sensible subject; of course, some would
prefer to have support for some new "super-duper" features, and consider
this language issue irrelevent. The good news is that PD is a free software
and therefore open to people that would like to use it in their own
language.

Mathieu, we want DesireData!
(and a better name...)
--