[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Dec 12 18:50:00 CET 2005

Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Localization is common and considered a *good* thing.
>
> ALL can also learn or remember a little bit of their own language to use
> computers; it's part of the solution to keep and enhance our local
> cultures. Since I'm French speaking, I prefer "commentaire" to "comment",
> "symbole" to "symbol", "nombre" to "number", "bascule" to "toggle"...

Of course localization is a good thing, but let's consider WHY it should
be done. If it's a matter of linguistic preference by longtime users,
that is well and good and by all means knock yourselves out and have fun
doing it! ;-)

But if it's a matter of attracting new users, or supporting users who
don't understand English very well (such as about 90% of the Brasillians
I workshopped with a month ago), then the docs and the help files need
to be (improved and) translated before a localized GUI is going do them
much good. In this respect, however, non-English character support would
help greatly. Difficult steps, but necessary ones.

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 53: