[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Dec 12 19:53:55 CET 2005

Marc Lavallée wrote:

> First contact with a new software is easier in your own language.

Agreed!

> A translated documentation is even better if the GUI is translated.

Also agreed!

> Also, if the localization of the software happens after the localization of
> the documentation, then all texts and screenshots would need to be
> upgraded.

Here you have the old chicken/egg syndrome. If the GUI says "Nachricht",
but the docs say "Message", you have a big problem for a new user, and I
would argue that is a bigger problem than if the GUI says "Message", the
docs say "Message", but the user happens to be German.

The danger I see is that non-English-speaking users will (of course) be
attracted by reading that PD "supports" French, German, Portuguese,
whatever. And the initial experience with the GUI will support that, but
any further attempts to figure out what is really going on will only
frustrate them because the help files and documentation are inconsistant
with both the GUI and their expectations that their langauge is "supported".

> If there's support for localized help patches, then obviously
> support for a localized GUI.

Natürlich!

In practical terms, my suggestion would be to would leave localized GUI
support in the dev catagory, and not mention it anyplace else until
matching documentation is supported. While that doesn't affect Miller's
releases at all, it does leave people like Hans-Christoph and other
package-maintainers in a position where they must decide if GUI support
without documentation to go with it is an appropriate inclusion.

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 37: