[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 12 20:02:56 CET 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Piotr Majdak wrote:

> BTW, I don't think pd needs international localization in the current
> development state. There are many another issues (stability,
> transparency, documentation) which should get higher priority than
> localization if pd wants to reach for more users.

I don't think you get the priority thing right. What happens is that there
are many people who would only contribute to Pd in the form of
translations, so, in effect, the #1 priority thing on their to-do list
would be to translate things, if it's something we allow them to do.

And then there are motivational factors. If Pd is multilingual (and
generally customisable) then it will feel more like home. People care more
about things that feel like home -- even software.

BTW, could you please elaborate on what you consider to be transparency?
Because it isn't clear to me... (I bet it doesn't have anything to do
with alpha channels... ;-)