[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Dec 13 00:55:23 CET 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Andre Schmidt wrote:

> if we make the gui (with the _VERY_ simple english) to multilangual,
> wouldnt we need to translate the objects too ?

Yes, as well as short descriptions, names of arguments, inlets, methods,
outlets. That's before moving on to translating help files.

> like, if you have in the menu "datei - öffnen", then the object
> "openpanel" should be "öffnenpanel" ?!

yes, but will be saved as "openpanel" so that the patch still works in
another -lang. Then tooltips can make things bilingual too. It's not like
I'm basing my translations on a translation framework that assumes only
one language at a time.

> what im after, if the users os is in german, they propably never heard
> about "file" (datei), so she/he needs object named "machedateiname",
> lol ?

not lol. (apart from the fact that [makefilename] doesn't even do anything
filename-specific)

> and i think multilangual gives more problems to ALL, than the user
> learning a little simple english...

How do you substantiate that statement?

> so leave the gui (and objects) in english and just make multilanguage
> help files, tutorials etc...

No.

Putting translation info in help files makes it more difficult for Pd to
assist the user more proactively, but also it puts an additional burden of
translation on those who make help files, because using a phrase
dictionary (like what DesireData does) makes it so that a given phrase
only has to be translated once.

> but then again, as long as theres english version, i dont really care :)

I'd rather have answers from people who care.

> ps. my mother language is finnish, and i was unable to use a finnish
> language os...

Most brands of Linux install translations in about forty-twelve languages
without asking your permission. For many programs this includes Finnish.