[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Dec 13 01:44:34 CET 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, derek holzer wrote:

> I agree on the level that if you translate the GUI, and even change the
> names of basic functions (i.e. "message" to "Nachricht"), you will only
> have a lot of very frustrated non-English-speaking users if the docs
> aren't also translated. So I would also vote for improved documentation
> as a focus over localization if PD wants more users.

Not if the software allows multiple languages at once. Don't assume that
my implementation of locali[sz]ation will be what ordinary apps normally
do with localisa[tc]i[oó]n.

> I can see that translating the GUI is a much simpler task than doing
> everything else I just mentioned first,

Which is why I did that first and early - because it's easy to do and it
gives peoples ideas and inspiration.

> but I'm not convinced that localization is the proper first step.

Sequential steps only makes sense when you have a single-thread program
executing them. Humans have other efficiency factors, moreso when money
is not involved (pd) and moreso when there's a community of people with
wildly varying skillsets.