[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Tue Dec 13 02:17:25 CET 2005

Le 12 Décembre 2005 19:18, clemos a écrit :
> hi all
>
> maybe I'm wrong, but translating the objects names looks quite weird to
> me. why not consider them as commands in a programming language (which
> are quite often in english, and everybody looks happy with this) ?

That's what I tried to explain in my last message. But it's not a matter of
being happy with names and acronyms based on "little small english". Named
objects (created by typing in a object box) should not be translated,
because they have names... But GUI objects, menu items, console messages
and probably other details can be translated.

The goal is not to turn PD into some sort of multi-cultural gorgon, ready to
annihilate all anglos in the universe. In order to understand the idea, run
some applications in "foreign" languages, and you'll notice that not
everything is translated. For the ultimate experience, compile a C++
software using Chinese locales... Then relax and repeat 3 times:
"Portez ce vieux whisky au juge blond qui fume."
--
Marc