[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

vincent rioux vincent.rioux at no-log.org
Tue Dec 13 12:55:02 CET 2005

> apart from that, i think that there is a distinction between i18n
> (translating the software) and allowing non-ascii characters.
>
> UTF-8 would be nice (if it worked!)

what do you mean exactly by "if it worked" ?

i am not sure this is a related issue but tcl/tk does not allow
displaying unicode characters by default on macosx platforms. However
there is a workaround for mac which works with tcl/tk8.4.9 (at least):

[from MACTCL mailing list]:

Unicode doesn't work satifactorily with the QuickDraw API used in the
current Tk source.
I wrote a patch for using ATSU instead, see
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12997&atid=312997&func=detail&aid=
638966>.
This implementation is slower than the QuickDraw based stuff in some
situations, so I am working on optimizations, before this can go into
CVS.  Unfortunately, optimizing and testing is going slow and I can
only devote limited time to it.
benny.

For my part, i would be quite satisfied if one could just write/save
comments in pd patches in utf8 or latin1 encodings.

greetings,
vincent