[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 13 13:30:25 CET 2005

vincent rioux wrote:

>> apart from that, i think that there is a distinction between i18n
>> (translating the software) and allowing non-ascii characters.
>>
>> UTF-8 would be nice (if it worked!)
>

> what do you mean exactly by "if it worked" ?

that UTF-8 gives problems everywhere.
most terminal-based applications have no real support for utf-8; most
editors do not like it either (try vi[m], try [x]emacs); even my beloved
zope/plone has hard times
so this would make editing pd-patches via a text-editor unusable (but of
course this is a problem with the editors, not with pd)

i really love utf (far better than iso-8859 and the like), but outside
OpenOffice it is still often unusable (at least on linux; i recon that
w32 works fine with utf8 and osX might do as well)

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes