[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

vincent rioux vincent.rioux at no-log.org
Tue Dec 13 13:51:59 CET 2005

>>> apart from that, i think that there is a distinction between i18n
>>> (translating the software) and allowing non-ascii characters.
>>>
>>> UTF-8 would be nice (if it worked!)
>>

>> what do you mean exactly by "if it worked" ?
>>

> that UTF-8 gives problems everywhere.
> most terminal-based applications have no real support for utf-8; most
> editors do not like it either (try vi[m], try [x]emacs); even my
> beloved zope/plone has hard times
> so this would make editing pd-patches via a text-editor unusable (but
> of course this is a problem with the editors, not with pd)
>
> i really love utf (far better than iso-8859 and the like), but outside
> OpenOffice it is still often unusable (at least on linux; i recon that
> w32 works fine with utf8 and osX might do as well)
>
> mfg.asdr.
> IOhannes

ok, then i totally agree with you,
the tricky part being
/can unicode strings be integrated into a .pd (text file) relatively
simply even if not directly editable with usual text editors? /
after all, unicode characters can be represented by escape codes (ascii
characters preceded by \), isnt' it?

by the way i would be interested to know how many people are editing
their patchs without the patch/cord gui and for what reasons?
for my part, i do it very seldom, only when i need to correct a patch
that cannot be opened any more.

vincent