[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Tue Dec 13 16:14:46 CET 2005

Le 13 Décembre 2005 06:26, derek holzer a écrit :

> Shouldn't a software, free or not, be usable whether the user is a
> developer or not?
> merging of the user and the developer communities in this
> particular case of Free Software often leaves the developers and the
> "power-users" as a kind of "hacker elite".
> This is a barrier to more widespread use of the software
> among (non-programmer) artists. Or do we ONLY want users who are also
> developers?
> I guess
> the main difference I have is a user-centered perspective, rather then a
> developer-centered one.

The idea is not to merge users and developers communities, or create an
elite, or leave users behind, or anything like that. As long as people will
consider software literacy (or technology in general) like artists usually
do, we'll be in trouble. Honestly, I don't know what is a "user-centered
perspective", because I don't believed in restrictive concepts that divides
people into clear techno-classes. Technology is a natural extend of our
bodies (including our brains), so if we want to live together with
technology, we should stop thinking in terms of users vs developers.
--
Marc