[PD] Fading between 4 videos - performance issues

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Tue Dec 13 18:22:25 CET 2005

On 12/13/05, Nuno Godinho <eu at nunogodinho.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a P4 at 3.2GHz with 1Gb of RAM and an ATI 9600 video card. Not the
> best in the world but I would say its acceptable for my intents.
>
> Hum...  so, from what you say... what I want to do is indeed performance
> intensive. But how can this be if in Adobe Premiere I can run much more
> videos simultaneously and still apply some filters on the fly?

Premiere is probably not texturing the video using OpenGL, but rather
using simple accelerated overlays.

> How do you intend to improve things?
> What alternativs do I have?
> Does it run smoothly in Mac? Is this a PC-only issue?

I easily get 4 720p24 clips on a dual G5 and at least 3 1080i60 ones.
At least 6 DV clips are possible as well.

> I thought the idea of turning off the invisible videos was quite reasonable.
> But somehow pd takes over 1 second to react and turn one video on or off.

That should be a reasonable solution and I haven't seen the same thing
happen here with turning the gemhead on and off.  I do have a problem
where the first time I turn on rendering with a DirectShow or
Quicktime object the output is like one frame every few seconds.
Turning rendering off and back on makes everything run at full speed.
Maybe try your DV clips as Quicktime rather than AVI?

> I could use a slightly slower framerate... But this would only be a
> temporary solution.

I only have the FireGL here, but I might try an Nvidia card to see if
anything changes.