[PD] Fading between 4 videos - performance issues

Nuno Godinho eu at nunogodinho.com
Tue Dec 13 19:21:22 CET 2005

Hi,

I see. What you say makes sense.

There's a peculiar behaviour though: I have a [ctlin] followed by a [number]
on top of everything. Even when I get down to one or two videos, the [ctlin]
still has a delay and when I move a fade in my MIDI interface it takes it
one or more seconds to reflect the changes. So everything is totally slowed
down, even with one video. Isn't it strange? Incresing the number of videos
makes it worse, of course.

You suggest implementing the decompression on the gfx but not only I
wouldn't know how to do it (not even where to start!), I don't intend to go
to such low level to implement something which seems so simple.

Actually I am not making any good use of texturing since I just want to
overlay fullscreen films, so I'd say OpenGL is not really needed, right? No
2D or 3D here at all. But I guess that while using GEM there is no way
around it, right?

What alternatives do I have to GEM that could bypass this problem (win32)?

I've tried VJ applications like Arkaos that are stunning fast at running
multiple videos at the same time without any skipped frame and projecting
them on 2D and 3D cubes and such, everything rotating on-the-fly. So it must
be possible! Unfortunately, although what I intend to do is quite simple,
Arkaos and its siblings are too limited for it.

Thanks,
Nuno