[PD] Fading between 4 videos - performance issues

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Dec 13 20:52:56 CET 2005

hiya,

On Dec 13, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Nuno Godinho wrote:
> I even removed 2 clip leaving only 2, and still everything was
> slow. I even
> tried with only one clip and noticed that, although the clips was
> running
> smoothly [ctlin] had a significant delay and after I moved the
> fader would
> only reflect the changes after almost one second. Weird, isn't it?

...at this point, if it can't even play one clip, I think we can
assume that you have something hooked up "incorrectly"...I just went
back to the post where you had the patches, and I can say that
there's any number of problems I can see, all having to do with order
of operations!

...this is usually a big gotcha:  you can't just connect multiple
outputs from one object to many other objects and expect it to behave
in any understandable manner:  what you need to do is add [trigger]
objects to get a better flow of messages...

...to start in "vela.pd", you should get rid of one of the
numberboxes, then put a [t f f f f] afterward, because as it is, that
[ctlin] number could go in any order to the four subpatches...

...then go thru your subpatches and wherever you see multiple
connections from one object, insert a trigger:  a particularly bad
spot is in the [pd calculaligadodesligado] subpatch, where you have a
numberbox going to both inlets of [+]...who knows what'll be the
result...the following will give you more what you want:

[number]

[t b f]
  |   |
[+    ]

...the same idea goes for multiple connections from [inlet], but
[loadbang] in general is ok (but could make for some unexpected
initial behavior)...

...also, inserting numberboxes is good for debugging, but can slow
down the whole thing, so you might want to make them optional...

...try this, and then we might get less weirdness ;-)

james