[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 14 02:02:43 CET 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Le 12 Décembre 2005 20:54, vous avez écrit :
> > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Marc Lavalléee wrote:
> > > No. The effort is about software localization, not translation of a
> > > programming language.
> > In the context of PureData, those two things are curiously similar.
> Even you don't get it? Gee... ;-)
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6176

Just because GNU Gettext is considered a standard by many, doesn't mean
that I have to use it. There are several reasons not to. And then I still
don't "get it", because it's so obvious that you can't even say what it is
that "even" I don't get.

> Applescript  files could be compiled in English and decompiled in French.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleScript#AppleScript_dialects

Neat! :)

> > > It would be impractical, because PD's language is graphical and not
> > > using a natural language metaphor.
> > Pd is hybrid: it's definitely textual to a large extent.
> Appart from the PDPP crew, who's writing their patches using a text editor?

I'm not saying that, you silly. I'm talking about objectboxes and
messageboxes. They contain written code.

> Get famous 50 years after your death from a bad larynx cancer, as a
> painter (of course),

50 years after death? I thought copyright lasted longer than that
nowadays...