[PD] iemmatrix documentation - and mtx_mul~

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 14 03:58:44 CET 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 12:52 PM, João Miguel Pais wrote:

>> Having one dll per object doesn't really make things much bigger,
>> especially when implemented properly.  Its just encapsulating code in
>> multiple files rather than one.  As for the issue of confusion, try
>> to deal with name conflicts when they are compiled into libraries.
>
> well, my externals folder takes 14 Mb, the one from the extended
> version 130Mb - in the iemmatrix folder (which was the initial
> subject) the original dll only takes 63Kb, but with all objects
> separated almost 2Mb.

Yeah, iemmatrix is currently hacked into separate DLLs, so there is a
lot of duplication of code.  Pd-extended has a ton of code in there
now, so that makes its quite big too, so matter how its assembled.

> To deal with name conflicts, keep track of what's installed and have
> always a reference I update the INTRO file after each install (here's
> a copy), or soon it won't do much to have so many objects, as at least
> I wouldn't be able to know who does what.

There are some name conflicts that you can't deal with when they are in
libs, i.e. when you want one conflicting object from one lib, and the a
different conflicting object from the other lib.  Luckily you haven't
run into those.

>> If you like spending your time maintaining your Pd install, don't let
>> me stop you.  I would just like to see us all spending less time on
>> maintenance, build systems, and file management, and more time
>> writing really cool things.
>
> I really don't spend that much time, as I have a system for it (which
> has been lasting for a few years), so it's quite automatized. That's
> also why I can't change that fast, in case it might be necessary
> (which I try to avoid).
> I find a full-package of pd really great, but since I have the choice,
> and for now it seems that there are still a few differentes between
> both, I prefer to keep installing the original dll's (as long as
> someone keeps coding them). Anyway I can compare both versions and
> check out what I am still missing.
>
> Joao

> PS: H-C, sorry for the delay with the multi-mega version of
> gui-edit.pd - I have already aligned all variables, but need a couple
> of days of free time to just put it working and solve the GUI,
> etc.<0.INTRO.txt>

No problem.  That's the world of free software...

____

this we should do freely and generously.

                          - Benjamin Franklin