[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 14 04:11:18 CET 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Le 12 Décembre 2005 03:52, Andre Schmidt a écrit :
>> if we make the gui (with the _VERY_ simple english) to multilangual,
>> wouldnt we need to translate the objects too ?
>
> No. The effort is about software localization, not translation of a
> programming language.
>
> Translating the objects would require PD to support dialects, like
> AppleScript did. It would be impractical, because PD's language is
> graphical and not using a natural language metaphor.
>
> Since Apple is based in the U.S. (THE unilinguistic power), I was not
> surprised when it dropped support for dialects in AppleScript,
> although it
> was working perfectly (I used it for a while). The reason invoked was
> that
> most developers were not using this feature, but it doesn't mean it
> was a
> completely bad idea...

Maybe the stereotype of the U.S. is unilinguistic, but I know that the
cash machine prompts me to choose between 6 languages, and the ballot
is available in 14 languages, and in typical day, I hear and see
english, spanish, chinese, and arabic, among other languages.  Contrary
to popular belief, English is not the "official" language everywhere in
this country.  And the law in a number of states requires that people
be given government info in their language, as well as saying that
contracts that are not in a shared language of the involved parties are
not valid.

Just my two bits.

.hc