[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 14 04:53:48 CET 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 10:37 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> ok, then i totally agree with you,
>>> the tricky part being
>>> /can unicode strings be integrated into a .pd (text file) relatively
>>> simply even if not directly editable with usual text editors? /
>>> after all, unicode characters can be represented by escape codes
>>> (ascii
>>> characters preceded by \), isnt' it?
>>>
>>> by the way i would be interested to know how many people are editing
>>> their patchs without the patch/cord gui and for what reasons?
>>> for my part, i do it very seldom, only when i need to correct a patch
>>> that cannot be opened any more.
>>

>> An easy thing that one can do is replacing the "isprint(n)"
>> by "n > 31"  in g_rtext.c and then recompile pd. On linux this
>> produces
>> extended ascii characters.
>> Don' t know what it does on windows and OSX, maybe someone is willing
>> try.
>
> Works for me on Mac OS X!  Could this simple patch cause any bugs?
> Why was isprint() there in the first place?

So far no crashes, tho once I typed a character and it hung for a few
seconds, and then recovered and typed an empty box.  Hmm

Here's a little snapshop of the test:

http://eds.org/~hans/Pu%cc%88reDa%cc%88ta%cc%88.pdf

Comments work fine, you can type special characters into object boxes,
but you can't load objects or abstractions using special characters.
And [print] replaces them with a ?.

I am going to include this in the next Pd-extended, we'll see then what
the problems are.

____

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits."
                                             - Martin Luther King, Jr.