[PD] synthesizers / drums / effects ..etc

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 14 09:20:25 CET 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Why are you converting abstractions to subpatches? Aren't abstractions
> much easier to reuse than having to cut and past a subpatch? At least I
> think so.

BTW, in GridFlow, a damn lot of useful tidbits are still only subpatches
instead of abstractions, and there's a reason why: for some things, there
are so many possible variants one may possibly want, that for easily
reusing an abstraction you need to make a private copy and make your own
changes. It's possible to include a lot of variants inside one
abstraction by using extra inlets and args, but sometimes it would just
lead to 13 inlets and 42 arguments and that's... ok I'm exaggerating. But
still, often, I think I have to make an abstraction for a certain thing,
but then I'm confused about what its feature set should be and how
configurable it should be, and then it becomes a mess and then I delete
the file and go back to my subpatches...