[PD] Fading between 4 videos - performance issues

Anders Friberg andersf at speech.kth.se
Wed Dec 14 10:38:24 CET 2005

Hi Nuno
I guess I shouldn't promote an alternative to GEM here but did you try
EyesWeb? (www.eyesweb.org). Its a free windows software mainly for
analysing video input but also have some transformation stuff. There is
a probably a simple patch showing you a mixing of two streams. I am
myself using eyesweb for basic video analysis connected to pd for more
processing and sound generation stuff.
Anyway, mixing 4 different files seems to be an quite simple task not
requring too much video card facilities. My experience is that the
decoding takes much more cpu time than anything else. I would recommend
you to try AVI format with the old (but fast decoding) compression
cinepak. Cinepak is included in the xp distribution and can also be
viewed in quicktime on a mac as far as I know.
/Anders