[PD] synthesizers / drums / effects ..etc

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 14 12:38:16 CET 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> > However as soon as something needs to be reused several times, a
> > subpatch is not appropriate anymore except for one-off patches. This
> > then is the place for an abstraction.
>
> yes, I think that's the point.
> It's like you always say, matju, "do it once and only once" ... ;)

Shit! Someone who actually listen to my conference talks! Hjelp!

What I was trying to say is that even though I'd like to do each thing
once and only once (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?OnceAndOnlyOnce), sometimes
there's a problem with what "each thing" is. Sometimes I'd have many
different abstractions with the same name because they all do different
things really, and because it happens that I want to customise the
would-be abstraction as soon as I instantiate it, the OAOO-style reuse
doesn't happen, and the clipboard-style reuse happens instead.