[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 14 12:43:52 CET 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> So far no crashes, tho once I typed a character and it hung for a few
> seconds, and then recovered and typed an empty box.  Hmm

Font-loading sometimes takes time, especially japanese/chinese/korean
fonts, but also unicode fonts, and antialiased fonts.

> Comments work fine, you can type special characters into object boxes,
> but you can't load objects or abstractions using special characters.

There might be a mismatch of charsets. What's the charset of your
filesystem?

> And [print] replaces them with a ?.

That's one kind of mismatch of charsets: the one you use in pd is most
likely utf-8, and the one you use in the Terminal is most likely
iso-8859-1 (Latin1) or ascii-7. I usually have to change it the other way
around, because I SSH from Unicode-configured Macs into a linux server
configured as Latin1.