[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 14 12:49:00 CET 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2005, at 10:53 AM, geiger wrote:
> > An easy thing that one can do is replacing the "isprint(n)" by "n >
> > 31"  in g_rtext.c and then recompile pd. On linux this produces
> > extended ascii characters. Don' t know what it does on windows and
> > OSX, maybe someone is willing to try.
> > Works for me on Mac OS X!  Could this simple patch cause any bugs?  Why was
> isprint() there in the first place?

isprint is supposed to be a localized function (man 3 isprint) and by
default corresponds to

	n>=32 && n<=126

which corresponds to all of the ascii-7 charset codes (used by the "C"
locale).

However, is it possible that Tcl implements UTF-8 regardless of the
charset selected by environment variables?

And is it possible that charsets that use wide characters are treated
much differently by isprint and such?