[PD] What about multilingual Pd ?

vincent rioux vincent.rioux at no-log.org
Wed Dec 14 12:55:33 CET 2005

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2005, at 10:37 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> An easy thing that one can do is replacing the "isprint(n)"
>>> by "n > 31"  in g_rtext.c and then recompile pd. On linux this
>>> produces
>>> extended ascii characters.
>>> Don' t know what it does on windows and OSX, maybe someone is
>>> willing  to
>>> try.
>>

>> Works for me on Mac OS X!  Could this simple patch cause any bugs?
>> Why was isprint() there in the first place?
>

> So far no crashes, tho once I typed a character and it hung for a few
> seconds, and then recovered and typed an empty box.  Hmm
>
> Here's a little snapshop of the test:
>
> http://eds.org/~hans/Pu%cc%88reDa%cc%88ta%cc%88.pdf
>
> Comments work fine, you can type special characters into object
> boxes,  but you can't load objects or abstractions using special
> characters.   And [print] replaces them with a ?.
>
> I am going to include this in the next Pd-extended, we'll see then
> what  the problems are.
>
> .hc

impressive!
one pb i can see is that you might not be able to reproduce it on linux
or windows just as well and that it is definetely better to write
"espanol", or "francais" when things like "espa?ol" or "fran?ais" (or
worse) might come up when you swap platforms.

anyway, this is already a very nice result.

Also, we don't really need to call files (abstractions, libraries,
objects) with special characters, this will never really work
cross-platform i believe.
i sometimes think that a subset of english could work just as unicode
does, the difference being that we will never have to learn unicode... or?

vincent