[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Patching in Tongues: The PureData TranslationProject

Nuno Godinho eu at nunogodinho.com
Wed Dec 14 21:02:46 CET 2005

Yes, I definitely agree that while localizing software is very useful but it
must make sense.

Let's take Microsoft's example. We get Microsoft Office in Portuguese. This
means that:

- Menus, tooltips and all messages are in Portuguese
- Shortcuts change because Ctrl-S (save) becomes Ctrl-G (gravar) which is a
little annoying but still understandable
- VBScript remains unchanged :)

I guess this would be the healthy approach. With one exception: Microsoft
products are localized in compile time meaning once you install the
portuguese version you would need to reinstall it in order to get it in
English. But since PD is much smaller I'd say there is no reason to hardwire
it in compile time and it can easily be implemented as a runtime option.

Bye,
Nuno