[PD] port used by sendOSC

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Dec 17 12:05:15 CET 2005

Hallo,
Axel Balley hat gesagt: // Axel Balley wrote:

> Thank you for your answer. However, I already know that : what I want
> precisely is to find out which port is used by sendOSC (the local
> port used to connect the remote one), so I can listen on that port
> for replies using the dumpOSC object. This is because I want to send
> OSC messages to a SC3 server (on port 57110), and display the replies
> it sends back to pd : for that, I need to know which port is used by pd.

[sendOSC] itself is not using a "local port" or source port, it just
connects to the remote host's destination port, sends its messages,
but doesn't read anything back. That's the job of [dumpOSC].

SC3 automatically uses a specific port, but Pd doesn't. Note that for
OSC using the UDP protocol, you can only run one application on one
machine's port. So if you run SC3 on port 57110, you will not be able
to create a [dumpOSC 57110] in Pd anymore, as that port, 57110,
already is taken by Supercollider. Instead you'll get a 'Address
already in use' error or something like that. Of course you can create
[connect localhost 57110( --- [sendOSC] chains, but you already did
that.

Ciao