[PD] port used by sendOSC

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 18 00:28:12 CET 2005

Hallo,
Axel Balley hat gesagt: // Axel Balley wrote:

> Le 17 déc. 05 à 12:05, Frank Barknecht a écrit :
> >
> >[sendOSC] itself is not using a "local port" or source port, it just
> >connects to the remote host's destination port, sends its messages,
> >but doesn't read anything back. That's the job of [dumpOSC].
> >

> AFAIK, any transmission of data between a client and server implies
> the use of 2 ports : one on the client side (in that case, the
> sendOSC object in pd), and one on the server side (here, the 57110
> port SC3 listens to). That's why I wanted to know if there was a way
> to display which port was used by the sendOSC to connect to SC3. I
> actually found that port number using the netstat command, however I
> couldn't create a dumpOSC object to listen on it : probably because
> it's already used by the sendOSC object so a new socket cannot be
> created.

As I understand the UDP specification, you can choose if you want to
specify a source port or not. As UDP is stateless, you will often see
UDP clients which do not use a specific source port. (See e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udp) sendOSC, AFAIK, works like that and
leaves all receiving up to dumpOSC.

Ciao