[PD] Connection with sensors - new devices?

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Tue Dec 20 17:02:00 CET 2005

hi all,

Am Dienstag 20 Dezember 2005 16:41 schrieb B. Bogart:
> Hi,
>
> The page says this thing has both USB (HID) and RS232 so you should be
> able to use [comport] or [hid] (but the later may be more sticky)
>
> Maybe christian is working on some multiIO module for something like this?
>
> b.

there are complete compass sensors available, either digital (only giving bits
for the 4 directions), or analogue (with continous output), like these here:

http://www.imagesco.com/catalog/DigitalCompass/DigitalCompass.html

they _could_ be connected to the multio (or any other sensor interface that
uses the 0..+5volt indistry standard for that purpose), but since the voltage
swing is below one volt, a small op-amp circuit may be needed.

range-finders are also available, either as ready-ti-use units or as kits,
that also have a 0..5 volt output. if you dont need the high-range of
serveral meters, i recommend the use of optical sensors, like the ones from
sharp (at the lower right, the ones with the analogue output):

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/1586.pdf

also, im starting to create a miniature-version of the multio that will fit on
half a euro board, so only 100x80 mm, maybe 20 mm height, with the same
functionality as the big box with one userboard. since that involves the use
of only smt devices, it is much more complicated to build yourself. that will
be done after i got the new firmware up....

anyhow, if someone needs something really small and simple, heres a hint: use
the microchip 18f4550 microcontroller. that one has a built-in usb interface.
there are tons of ultra-simple circuits to program that chip. that chip also
has a/d converters integrated, so you can directly connect sensors to it. all
the needed tools are freely available on the microchip site. even more, if
you get the chip itself as free samples, you can make yourself a small
interface for below 10 dollars, using usb.....

greetings,

chris