[PD] Connection with sensors - new devices?

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Tue Dec 20 18:16:45 CET 2005

hi all,

Am Dienstag 20 Dezember 2005 17:41 schrieb Nuno Godinho:
> Olá João,
>
> I believe you can find alternatives to those here:
>
> http://infusionsystems.com/catalog/index.php
>
> Although expensive, I am not totally sure of this but I believe the great
> advantage of I-CubeX is that their sensor's signal can be easily converted
> to MIDI which makes them very easy to use in any kind of software,
> including PD.
>
> Adeus,
> Nuno

midi boxes have serveral drawbacks .... first, default cc messages have only 7
bit, so you have a range of 0..127 only, unless you use a few other cc's
(like pitch), or refer to rpn's/nrpn's.

second, midi in hardware is rather slow if you play around with sensor data
from many sensors and/or high resolution. plus, it requires you to have a
midi interface in your computer.

otoh, usb is fast, available on almost any computer/handheld by now and due to
standards like hid, easy to use as well. oh, not to mention that there are
midi definitions for usb, so a usb device can register as midi device to a
host, making it accessible by the hosts midi system.

if you only want to do 1 or two sensors, midi (not usb or usb-midi) is nice.
but for more, it becomes pretty limited quite soon. the problem is that
sensors usually dont have a "stable" output like a fader. it varies much more
over time, generating a constant flood of messages. i prefer to have sensors
as much "realtime" as possible.....

and yes, 600 dollars for the system you mentioned is way too expensive. that
just a rip-off, imho.

greets,

chris