OSCroute as single external [Was: Re: [PD] port used by sendOSC]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 20 22:57:30 CET 2005

Hallo,

> I just had the same thought.  It seems to me that Pd's OSC objects could
> be implemented so that they just do the protocol, then we'd have
> separate network objects that handle all of the networking.  It would be
> a much more flexible system, and there would be less overlap in code to
> maintain (i.e., you would only have network code in the network obects,
> and OSC code in the OSC objects)

For a start, I just did a big cleanup of OSCroute.c and relatives.
With that OSCroute is a single source file external and can be
compiled without any dependencies to the rest of the OSC externals,
especially it doesn't deal with any networking code anymore.

I also moved the stuff from OSC-pattern.[c|h] to OSCroute.c. This
might not be a good idea, it was just done to simplify compiling even
further to basically just

$ cc -c -o OSCroute.o OSCroute.c
$ cc -shared -o OSCroute.pd_linux OSCroute.o

The code is not in CVS, however I'd love to hear some comments on this approach
(and tests on Windows as well, as I removed some stuff there, too, like the
__declspec(dllexport) in the original code, which better goes to a makefile, I
think.)

Ciao