OSCroute as single external [Was: Re: [PD] port used by sendOSC]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 20 23:47:01 CET 2005

  On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I just had the same thought.  It seems to me that Pd's OSC objects could
>> be implemented so that they just do the protocol, then we'd have
>> separate network objects that handle all of the networking.  It would be
>> a much more flexible system, and there would be less overlap in code to
>> maintain (i.e., you would only have network code in the network obects,
>> and OSC code in the OSC objects)
>
> For a start, I just did a big cleanup of OSCroute.c and relatives.
> With that OSCroute is a single source file external and can be
> compiled without any dependencies to the rest of the OSC externals,
> especially it doesn't deal with any networking code anymore.

It was possible before to compile the OSC objects as single externals, the
Pd-extended.app have included them like this for a long while.  Maybe it
didn't work on GNU/Linux.  Was there a problem with the OSCroute file that
I setup?

> I also moved the stuff from OSC-pattern.[c|h] to OSCroute.c. This
> might not be a good idea, it was just done to simplify compiling even
> further to basically just
>
> $ cc -c -o OSCroute.o OSCroute.c
> $ cc -shared -o OSCroute.pd_linux OSCroute.o
>
> The code is not in CVS, however I'd love to hear some comments on this approach
> (and tests on Windows as well, as I removed some stuff there, too, like the
> __declspec(dllexport) in the original code, which better goes to a makefile, I
> think.)

I say leave this code as is, for the most part, except to get it building
properly and to fix bugs.  OSCx (this current OSC lib) is kind of a hack.
It would be nice to see some clean OSC objects, perhaps with the
networking handled by a separate object.

But ultimately, I don't have a strong preference, as long as it compiles,
installs, and works when I cd packages && make install

.hc

 	zen
 	   \
 	    \