OSCroute as single external [Was: Re: [PD] port used by sendOSC]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Dec 21 00:08:36 CET 2005

Hallo,

> It was possible before to compile the OSC objects as single externals, the
> Pd-extended.app have included them like this for a long while.  Maybe it
> didn't work on GNU/Linux.  Was there a problem with the OSCroute file that
> I setup?

No, nothing was wrong, OSCroute always built fine in the past. What I
would like to achieve is a clearer separation of OSCroute, which is
just a simple, but very useful Pd message external, with nothing
specific to OSC about it at all actually, and the UDP networking and
scheduling code in OSCx. Even when somebody starts doing a new
implementation of the networking code, OSCroute will be a pretty
important external and it doesn't need to change much.

So basically all I did was remove the OSC-common.h header from
OSCroute.c, as that is also used in the other OSC externals, to make
OSCroute stand-alone and to make it possible to move it anywhere else
in the future.

> I say leave this code as is, for the most part, except to get it
> building properly and to fix bugs.  OSCx (this current OSC lib) is
> kind of a hack.  It would be nice to see some clean OSC objects,
> perhaps with the networking handled by a separate object.

OSCroute isn't a hack, it's a pretty normal Pd external, it just has
collected a bit of dust, which I'm trying to shake off.  For that I
cleaned up the code a bit, removed a lot of commented Max code and
some practically unused variables and some code paths, that were just
taken if TRUE == FALSE. This wasn't a lot of work actually.

Ciao