[PD] alsa/jack problems on ubuntu/demudi

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Dec 22 10:15:39 CET 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, david golightly wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> After much deliberation I finally bought a new laptop & installed Ubuntu on
> it.  Then I got a DeMuDi kernel for audio work, and Jack for audio.  I also
> installed Pd-0.38.4 - so far so good, everything worked right out of the
> box.  Then I installed a number of other packages
> and upgraded to 39.2, this time compiling from source.  Now, when I launch
> PD, I get the following:
>
> couldn't open MIDI input device 0
> couldn't open MIDI output device 0
> opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).
> unknown audio API specified

Hi

Seems you have compiled pd without jack support. You need the libjack-dev
library installed and watch out for the information that ./configure gives
you.

You also have the option of backporting packages from Debian unstable:
just add

deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list

then do (as root)

apt-get update
apt-get build-dep
apt-get source --compile puredata

This leaves you with a debian package puredata_xxx_i386.deb, which
you can install with dpkg -i puredata_xxx_i86.deb

Guenter