[PD] Connection with sensors - new devices?

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Thu Dec 22 14:21:44 CET 2005

hi,

Am Donnerstag 22 Dezember 2005 13:40 schrieb Marc Lavallée:

> > > they are really quite expensive - anyway, comparing with the other
> > > sollutions. Although it is possible to choose midi with better
> > > resolution, I don't know if the resolution would be better as with hid
> > > devices (probably anyone else has the answer to that).
> >
> > That's really an understatement. They're ripping you off. They have plain
> > boring LEDs that they have branded as SeeGreen(tm) and that they are
> > charging 28,53 USD (24,12 EUR; 33,28 CAD) per LED. Even though each such
> > LED bulb comes with its own cable, still 90%-99% of this is paying for
> > the brandname (depending on the quality of the components).
> >
> > If instead you go to a no-bullshit shop then you can prolly negociate a
> > shovelful of LEDs for the same price.
>
> The Infusion Systems  products are nicely designed. For education,
> especially for people scared to death by anything electric, it's perfect.
> Give them a shovelful of LEDS and they won't use them (althought some
> artists might stick a handful on their "mix media" paintings). So there's a
> specific market for this product. Think about all the junk food that's
> ripping off hackers; most of them are not willing to bake their own potato
> chips and mix their own sugared fizzy water...
> --
> Marc

led's with a wire and plug are absolutely common: look inside a pc and you
will see. they are used to show the power status, hdd led, etc....

anyway, if we would take the fast-food example vs. the icube price:
a hamburger would costs about 30 dollars, and an extra 10 dollars for the nice
packaging.

on ebay (at least in de) you can grab whoe sets of led's. they usually sell
them in quantities of one hundred, including a resistor per led. the price is
about 25 euro for that.

even the construction of the infusion stuff isnt qualifying for that price. a
piece of hose that shrinks when heated, so that the cables wont bend at the
connections. thats common practice.....

it is ok when ready-built things cost a bit more. but that stuff is really
just a rip-off.

greets,

chris