[PD] Re: tk drawing in PD extended 0.38-4 RC6

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Thu Dec 22 16:49:21 CET 2005

Hi Hans,

#1 It looks like my antialiasing settings for the past couple years has
simply aliased away my perception of this problem. In fact it has probably
been around for longer than that

#2 I think your view of "normal" is not what has been normal for PD (ie
not on OSX) check out the following attachments, zoom in real close and
take a look. Both are the exact same patch, rendered by OSX and linux.

There is certainly something wonky happening with the tk drawing, some
elements are one (yes one) pixel off. I did notice when making connections
that even the start of the connection does not start at the outlet, but
floating one pixel above it. :(

Summary of weirdness:

* The "rectangle" used to draw a PD inlet is exactly one pixel taller than
the outlet. (huh??) on OSX this means we see the whole in the recangle,
exposing that it is a non-filled rectangle

* The line that connects the bottom right corner of a message box to the
inset part seems to extend exactly one pixel past the inset part, giving
us a single pixel artifact

* the circle in a bang is really wonky, looks slightly mashed into the
lower-left corner and is totally asymetrical, where on linux the curcle is
centered and symetrical.

Yes these are very tight issues (on pixel here and there) but they are
distracting me and actually make the PD (clean) interface rather junky.
(at least at a low-enough resolution we can see them).

James, could this be an artifact of the new tk drawing instructions? Some
things are strange, like the inetets of the IEM guis don't seem to have
this same issue as the "original" PD objects.

I just don't understand how the stable version of tk is doing this, I
guess we're the only ones left using the "canvas". *sigh*

And yes Hans I agree that the connections really look nice with the AA,
and I understand your position. I think it was rather the shock of that
the AA was hiding from me that made me so unhappy with having the AA
turned off...

so much for consistancy.

b.