[PD] Which sensor controller should I use with PD?

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Fri Dec 23 14:07:56 CET 2005

hi nuno,

Am Freitag 23 Dezember 2005 13:34 schrieb Nuno Godinho:

[...snip...]

> I knew about TELEO but forgot about them when I learned that it didn't use
> MIDI. Now I was told that after all MIDI is not even a good solution since
> it is so slow so maybe TELEO is fine after all. Alto it seems to be modular
> enough to grow with my future needs. Would you use TELEO? I asked
> MakingThings (they build TELEO) if Teleo supports PD and they told me it
> doesn't but they eventually plan to add support to PD in the future. Do you
> know if I can still use TELEO with PD using HID or something else and if it
> is reasonable to use it for my purposes?
>
> I read about Arduino but I got a little scared with the online examples
> because it seems that you have to program the board even to read a simple
> sensor. Isn't this overkill for what I want? I also read about home-built
> controllers. I guess I could learn how to do it, but I am working on so
> many projects at the same time and have so few time that I'd rather be
> working on an upper lever of abstraction instead of reinventing the wheel.
> Anyway maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?
>
> I heard about Christian Klippel's MultIO and heard it's good but I know
> nothing about it. Would it do what I need?
>
> So, after all my loose ideas:
> What controller would you advise me to use?
> Also, do you know where I can buy a nice bend sensor?

it somewhat depends on how you want it to use in the future. youre talking
about just one sensor, while all these solutions provide inputs for serveral
sensors. since i can speak only for myself, and thus the multio: if you
intend to use more sensor/button/light/etc... stuff in the future, it would
be an option for you. it costs more than the arduino (and maybe other,
smaller units as well), but is cheaper than most other, bigger units.
its no problem that you can get a unit that is ready-to-use, no need that you
have to solder it yourself. if youre interrested, contact me off-list.

as for the bend-sensors:

http://www.imagesco.com/catalog/flex/FlexSensors.html

but since you are going to meassure air-flow/pressure, you could also use
pressure-sensor:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=01126990368716

you probably want one with 10 kpa maximum to get a usable readout. not that
they are available as free samples ;-) id suggest you to grab one with a
unibody case, like the mpx5010dp (dp = dual port, one side is sensitive to
positive pressure (blow), the other to negative-pressure (suck))

> Thank you!
> Nuno

greetings,

chris