[PD] Re: 2d control surface using GOP datastructures

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Dec 23 23:50:51 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 12:20:38AM +0100, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:21:24 +0100
> From: Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>
> Subject: Re: [PD] 2d control surface using GOP datastructures
> To: pd-list at iem.at
>
> Hallo,
> Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> > This is a 2 dimensional control surface. The number box adds new
> > controllable points. Banging the inlet outputs a sequence of values (n x
> > y) where n is the number of the controllable point, x is it's normalised
> > x value, and y is it's normalised y value. You can unpack these to assign
> > different points to parameters in your patches.
>
> Attached is a version, which uses the scaling of coordinates in
> structs to greatly simplify your patch. Note that I also avoided the
> constant traversal of the graphing subpatch, because that can be very
> expensive CPU-wise. I avoided it by auto-creating a little abstraction
> (ctl-parser.pd) that receives the pointer of the newly created
> graphical control object and caches this. This way, no traversal at
> all is done and you only get a little "spike" in CPU the moment, you
> create the new dots.

Hi Frank,

This looks really cool. I think you have a firm grasp of this
datastructures stuff. I can't seem to get your patch to work properly
though - when I create an instance it comes up with broken connections -
are you sure you attached the right bits? There seems to be nothing to
attach to the print statements inside ctl-parser.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx