[PD] Connection with sensors - new devices?

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Sat Dec 24 16:27:40 CET 2005

hi all,

Am Freitag 23 Dezember 2005 20:12 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
[...snip...]

> According to spec, 10BaseT has a maximum cable length of 100m.  USB 1.0
> spec says 5m.  I've used 100BaseT on cables well over 100m, so that
> spec is quite conservative.  I've heard about people having quite a few
> troubles trying to get USB up to 20m.

yes, its true that usb cant extend that long with just a cable, also, the
maximum length is _very_ dependant on the connected device. here i have a 5
meter cable, no problems. also, usb hubs are really cheap.... but for sure,
adding hubs adds latency as well .....

> Plus you can get a 300m spool of CAT5 for US$40.  Ethernet is really
> far better than USB if you want to go for long cable lengths.

thats right. im just curious about the latency i can get, but we will see....

> .hc

greets,

chris