Pd for Debian [was: Re: [PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC6 release]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 26 22:32:25 CET 2005

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, patrick wrote:
>
> > apt-get install pd-externals on debian or demudi is really old! no OSC,
> > old version of plugin~... that's why your work is very important!
>
> Who's taking care of packaging Pd on Debian? If there's no-one, then that
> would be a responsibility that a pd user should take over, to ensure that
> debian-unstable and debian-testing get fresh enough versions of pd (i'm
> not mentioning debian-stable because you can't get anything fresh with
> that).

See http://packages.debian.org/puredata

Guenther is the official maintainer, but he would love to get every
help there is, because as probably every developer here knows,
Guenther is a busy man.

I'm currently trying to adapt the debian build files in CVS to use
Hans' global makefile, a lot of help comes from Martin Rumori in this
task. In fact he did most of the work so far. We managed to build
installed packages which basically follow Hans' makefile and do
everything, his make system does. However I don't want to put any work
into pd-0.38 anymore, so these are for pd-0.39 (or CVS head) and don't
include the libdir or comment patches by Hans. They haven't been
published yet, it's still christmas time here. Probably this will take
till 2006 anyway.

So far building Debian packages out of Hans' stuff looks very
promising. A problem still is, that Hans' main makefile isn't yet
ready to be used only partially. That is, "make all" works fine, but
"make only_part_of_all" often doesn't. Another problem is building
flext externals, because flext's build system also is hard to script
fully automatically.

As Demudi and Ubuntu use the Pd-packages from Debian upstream both
don't create additional work.

Ciao