Pd for Debian [was: Re: [PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC6 release]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 27 09:36:13 CET 2005

On Dec 26, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, patrick wrote:
>>
>>> apt-get install pd-externals on debian or demudi is really old! no
>>> OSC,
>>> old version of plugin~... that's why your work is very important!
>>
>> Who's taking care of packaging Pd on Debian? If there's no-one, then
>> that
>> would be a responsibility that a pd user should take over, to ensure
>> that
>> debian-unstable and debian-testing get fresh enough versions of pd
>> (i'm
>> not mentioning debian-stable because you can't get anything fresh with
>> that).
>
> See http://packages.debian.org/puredata
>
> Guenther is the official maintainer, but he would love to get every
> help there is, because as probably every developer here knows,
> Guenther is a busy man.
>
> I'm currently trying to adapt the debian build files in CVS to use
> Hans' global makefile, a lot of help comes from Martin Rumori in this
> task. In fact he did most of the work so far. We managed to build
> installed packages which basically follow Hans' makefile and do
> everything, his make system does. However I don't want to put any work
> into pd-0.38 anymore, so these are for pd-0.39 (or CVS head) and don't
> include the libdir or comment patches by Hans. They haven't been
> published yet, it's still christmas time here. Probably this will take
> till 2006 anyway.

Why not include the libdir patch?  It applies fine with 0.39 and its a
safe change, its not major surgery.  Which is the comment patch?    I
am planning on wrapping up the 0.38 builds within two weeks, so then we
can switch everything to 0.39 (patches, etc.).

> So far building Debian packages out of Hans' stuff looks very
> promising. A problem still is, that Hans' main makefile isn't yet
> ready to be used only partially. That is, "make all" works fine, but
> "make only_part_of_all" often doesn't.

Please report problems so they can be fixed.  Which is the main
Makefile, packages/Makefile? Which parts aren't working?  I know that
the clean targets could use some work...

> Another problem is building
> flext externals, because flext's build system also is hard to script
> fully automatically.

I think the way to do this is to just make premade config files for
flext, and then have the Makefile copy them into place.  That seems to
me to be the most workable solution.  The previous attempt by Thomas
Grill was a very complicated and obtuse shell script embedded in a
Makefile which was not really maintainable.

.hc