[PD] using PD on PDAs

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Dec 28 14:02:40 CET 2005

Hi Duncan,

duncan wrote:

> so any ideas on which PDAs this might work on, and what OS i would need?
> i'm pretty new at this backend game so any advice is appreciated.. i
> know it's possible to run linux on some PDAs but is this the way to go?

You'll need a PDA with an ARM type processor and a Linux installation
for this architecture. Most people use something from Open
Embedded/Familiar.

I put some install notes for Familiar Linux + PDa on an IPaq 5550 here:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-03/026751.html

You can also search the list archives with the keyword "PDA" and turn up
some other stuff.

I wrote in these notes that the Familiar 0.8.1 was pretty stable, but in
fact later I discovered it was not. Maybe things have improved a bit in
the two minor release versions (currently 0.8.3) since this time, but I
have a hell of a time getting power management and some other crucial
functions to work. Be ready to spend a lot of time with the install!

Good luck,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl