[PD] set up for pd on linux? -- ubuntu

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jan 2 13:02:12 CET 2006

Hallo,
vincent rioux hat gesagt: // vincent rioux wrote:

> ok thanks for all these remarks,
> then if i understood you well, you point out pbs with gnome/kde and
> upgrades in Ubuntu (by the way installing kde from (G)Ubuntu is a one
> step process: apt-get install kubuntu-desktop).

Actually I don't use either of these, I just want my terminal, vim,
blackbox and Pd to behave correctly. (And the blackbox package in
Ubuntu has bugs, that are already fixed in Debian testing ...)

> finally, i would just like to say that Ubuntu is a good choice for
> debian/linux beginners (like me).
> I would agree with you Frank, that one would probably get more freedom
> with a genuine debian install or a gentoo for example, but still, it
> seems to me that it requires a substantial  extra-amount of knowledge
> and time.

I agree, that Ubuntu is great for getting a system up and running in
no time, however it targets a different user base, than the one, I
belong to. To me, configuring Ubuntu to my liking takes much, much
longer than configuring a plain Debian system, because a lot of stuff
on Ubuntu is tied to GUI-frontends. I'd say, for a Pd system, Demudi
is a better choice. You don't need to disable esd or arts before being
able to run Pd, you get a latency-tuned kernel, the important
additional software like Ardour, qjackctl or LADSPA plugins already
are installed at the first bootup, Fluxbox is integrated very well, so
running Gnome is not required etc. So it might even be faster to setup
a Demudi system for Pd/audio work, than it is to set up Ubuntu.

But of course in the end it all is a matter of taste as well. Ubuntu
is very slick, but not for everyone.

Ciao