[PD] routing PD gui commands back into PD via netreceive

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Jan 6 17:17:29 CET 2006

nope, the data is litered with ";"s

It looks like PD is choking on the amount of data (but that seems
unlikely) causing the buffer to fill up and then finall it gives up and
lets it all out.

I got around this my using a fast metro and fifop to hold my own buffer
of the stream "send 100 messages, then wait 5s, then send another 100"
so that I can control how the data gets spit out.

I tested it this way:

#1. use the ngrep | sed stuff and send it to console
Result: I see the messages streamed fine, one by one to console.

#2. send stdin to send from console into PD using the netcat command
Result: I see no buffering, each messages arrives when I send it. Of
course I can't send data I type as fast as PD does.

#3. send a captured file of the same PD data to netreceive
Result: Acts just the same as #4

#4. shorthand: ngrep | sed | netcat
Result: hundreds of messages build up before netreceive sends anything,
then all of a sudden I get a huge flood of messages at once, then
another lull and so on.

Maybe its really simple:

A. ngrep grabs the network data GUI -> PD
B. We process and send this to PD
C. PD then sends part of it back to the GUI (showing the data in GUI)

So its maybe just the feedback loop that is causing this behavoir, and
it is afterall the feedback process that I'm interested in.

the PD gui as a kind of iterative chaotic equation, though I have not
plotted it. It does tend towards periodic...

Since I don't get a single message at netreceive until a few hundred get
sent, the feedback look has a large delay befor it folds back into itself...

Again I don't want to use a second PD instance since the data I want to
work with the is creation of the patch that works with the data!

I'm performing the peice on saturday, so I hope I can make an mp3/ogg
and put it up for all.

..b.