[PD] Re: Building PD on Mac OS X Tiger

lists.puredata.info at cefn.com lists.puredata.info at cefn.com
Sun Jan 8 10:24:00 CET 2006

I'd like to build the latest stable version of PD from source on my
Mac OS X Tiger machine, for the following reasons.

To build libraries and modules which rely on pd, knowing that the
source is compatible
Confidence I have the latest version, to reduce issues associated
with changes to important libraries such as tcltk in Mac OS X Tiger.
To know exactly what I've added to the system

I'm somewhat confused as to...
a) What is the latest stable source version suitable for
compatibility with Mac OS X Tiger (sourceforge indicates that 0.38-1
is newer than 0.38-4, and other online sources claim to have 0.39
builds of PD).
b) How tcltk should be acquired and in a way to avoid the following
error from cd pd-0.3.x-x/src/; ./configure; make
libtool: can't open file: ../../Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/
Current/Tk (No such file or directory)
libtool: can't open file: ../../Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/
Current/Tcl (No such file or directory)

Are there any up to date resources which list members could point me
to? There are lots of traces around which might suggest worthwhile
routes to completing a successful build, and I've been able to get
the Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC2.app to run as a binary on my powerbook OK
so somebody must know how to build for this platform, but there
doesn't seem to be a definitive record of what is the latest Tiger-
compatible source release, or what is the way Tcltk should be
acquired and integrated to have it end up in the right place for the
regular installer to recognise it.

I've built tcltk both with the BatteriesIncluded distrib from
http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/
and from Fink
sudo fink install tcltk tcltk-dev tcltk-shlibs
and from DarwinPorts
sudo port install tcl
but no luck yet.

I'll accept any flames of the form google for 'X Y Z', since I can't
find the magic combination.

In the end I wish to control quicktime video playback speed through
PD, driven by signals from a basic stamp, delivered through the
serial port, as described here http://cefn.com/curiosity/?
pagename=handcar. Any thoughts on this approach would be welcomed.

Cefn
http://cefn.com/curiosity/