[PD] Re: Building PD on Mac OS X Tiger

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 9 06:25:53 CET 2006

(this is a topic for the list, so I am CC'ing it again).

On Jan 8, 2006, at 4:28 PM, lists.puredata.info at cefn.com wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, Hans-Christoph,
>
> Building all of pd-extended isn't my favourite way forward, although
> I'm attempting to do this to make progress anyway. I'll try to explain
> why.
>
> One of the advantages of building pd from source was simplicity and
> minimising unnecessary dependencies (i.e. not having to install a
> thousand libraries when I only need one). This means the build can
> take place more rapidly (I imagine) and also is likely to be more
> portable. In the long run I will need to migrate the pd program I am
> building to a cheaper platform to sit in an exhibition space, probably
> a linux/intel box, and so reliance on every library building for the
> darwin platform may turn out to be an obstacle or at least a waste.
>
> To take a simple example, I've never successfully installed ffmpeg
> before today on Tiger, (although I've now managed it). It requires the
> activation of 'unstable packages' from fink, and previously would
> force me to reboot my machine (turned out to be a space in the Volume
> name) so if this kind of problem is avoidable, I'll avoid it.
>
> However, without working from the basics of pd, and adding the
> required libraries according to the elements I actually need (not many
> elements needed in this case) it will be hard to get to a
> stripped-down version of the minimal libraries, and know exactly what
> I MUST build, versus what is in the full extended package.
>
> Is there a minimal build of pd for Tiger, which I could use as a
> foundation, to add libraries with increasing complexity? Am I missing
> something about the extended source you're pointing me to (is there a
> minimal target).
>
> In the absence of this, I'll just build a debian box from scratch with
> some cheap intel hardware, and then try to build the whole pd-extended
> source on that with apt-get, whether I need it or not.

The Pd-extended.app and Windows installer include all extra lib
dependencies, so its not a big deal.  The GNU/Linux version is aimed at
Debian, and its easy enough to install the dependecies there.  Here's
how:

http://puredata.org/docs/developer/Debian

One of the key ideas of Pd-extended is that the package will be as
close to exactly the same on all platforms, so it should work well for
you when you transition from Mac OS X to Debian.  There are already
people working on making .deb packages from the Pd-extended build
system.

> NOTES ON INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AT
>
> http://puredata.org/docs/developer/darwin
>
> Tcl/Tk  section refers in one case to BatteriesIncluded version, and
> in the other, to a disk image which is not named BI. The guidance to
> download TclTkAqua-8.4.9.dmg therefore seems to be redundant. Should
> this read TclTkAquaBI-8.4.9.dmg, or better, the recent stable releases
> of 8.4.9 or 8.4.10...  TclTkAquaBI-8.4.9.1.dmg or
> TclTkAquaBI-8.4.10.0.dmg. If more recent versions are known NOT to
> work, this is worth recording. Otherwise should I assume that later is
> better?

That document covers how Pd-extended is currently built. 8.4.9 is known
to work, that's why its there.  I haven't really played with newer
versions, that's why I didn't say anythign about them.

FYI: You need both the Frameworks (TclTkAqua-8.4.9.dmg) and the .app
(TclTkAquaStandalone-8.4.9.dmg).

Fixed the BI typo.

> At one point during the installation, I believed the script was asking
> for a cvs password with the prompt
> password:
> whereas it was actually asking for sudo privileges. My error, but this
> could be clarified with a message in the script.

Where is this?

> OTHER COMMENTS
>
> Out of interest, for some reason, from my current location (New
> Hampshire) I can't get to http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html at
> all, (though the rest of the web seems accessible from here). Not your
> problem, but maybe worth noting if others experience the same problems
> of visibility.

Haven't heard of any problems recently.

.hc

> Cefn
> http://cefn.com/curiosity/
>
> On 8 Jan 2006, at 14:21, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> The Pd-extended binaries should work fine on Tiger.  Try RC6:
>> http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html
>>

>> Any of the recent versions should build on Tiger.  Here are some
>> basic setup instructions for compiling Pd-extended:
>>
>> http://puredata.org/docs/developer/darwin
>>
>> Post any problems you have with those instructions.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Jan 8, 2006, at 4:24 AM, lists.puredata.info at cefn.com wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to build the latest stable version of PD from source on my
>>> Mac OS X Tiger machine, for the following reasons.

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
                                               -David Zicarelli