[PD] sending carriage return through netserver

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jan 15 19:44:13 CET 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Ivan Franco wrote:
> On 15 Jan 2006, at 6:06 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Hey Ivan.
>>
>> I can't think of a method for sending a carriage return or null
>> within Pd.  But there might be other ways to deal with this.  Why do
>> you need to send a \n or \0 in particular?  Is the client a Pd patch
>> also or something else?
>
> It's not a PD patch. It's some ugly C# code that needs to receive the
> end of a message with a byte \0 in order to understand it as
> the end of a message.
> If I use ; in the end of a PD message though netserver should it be
> understood as "end of message" in a typical TCP/IP client?

Its been a while since I looked at the details of how [netserver]
works, so I don't remember how it packetizes things.  But in the C#
side of things, I think you would receive the data from Pd into a
buffer, then read from the buffer in ';' deliminated chunks, then
convert the ";" to the \0 that you need.  Not simple, but that would
work.

Maybe you could make a C# object for Pd while you are at it?  There was
some Java code around for doing this, it should be very easily to port
to C# AFAIK.

.hc

> I.
>

>> .hc
>>
>> On Jan 12, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Ivan Franco wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list.
>>> Can you help me on how to broadcast a message of a carriage return
>>> or \0 through
>>> a netserver? I need it so that my client receives the proper
>>> broadcast message.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>> I.

>> ______
>>
>> "Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy
>> is related to the telescope."
>>                                                           -Edsger
>> Dykstra
>>

> _________________________
>
> Ivan Franco
> R&D Director
> ivan.franco at ydreams.com
>
> YDreams SA
> http://www.ydreams.com
>
> Disclaimer and Confidentiality Notice:
> YDreams accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard
> to the information herein contained.
> This message including any attachment hereof is confidential and may
> be privileged or otherwise legally
> protected from disclosure and may only be read, copied and used by the
> intended recipient. If you are not
> the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately (+351 21
> 294 9683) and delete this email and
> any attachment permanently from your system. You must not copy this
> email or any attachment or disclose
> its/their contents to any other person or entity. Thank you.

____

publicity.

                      - Bill Moyers